|Additional Information:||Son of Alexander and Ann Duffus, of 31, Edmund St., Dennistoun, Glasgow.|
|Cemetery:||MENDINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY|
|II. F. 48.
|Location:||Mendinghem Military Cemetery is located 17 km north west of
Ieper town centre on the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge and on to Oost-Cappel.
From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308), is reached via Elverdingsestraat then directly over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing.
On reaching the ring road of Poperinge R33 Europalaan, the left hand clockwise route circles the town of Poperinge and rejoins the N308 towards Oost-Cappel. 6.5 km after joining the N308 lies the village of Proven. The cemetery is located 500 metres beyond the village of Proven on the left hand side of the road (which at this point is called Roesbruggestraat).
|Historical Information:||The name of Mendinghem, like those of Dozinghem and
Bandaghem, was coined by the troops.
In July, 1916, the 46th (1st/1st Wessex) Casualty Clearing Station was opened at Proven, and the present site was chosen for its cemetery. The first burials took place in August, 1916. In July, 1917, before the Battles of Ypres, four further Clearing Stations were at Proven; and three (the 46th, 12th and 64th) stayed there until 1918. In April, 1918, the French troops on our left, for whom provision had been made when the cemetery was started, carried out a few burials in it; and from May to July, while the German offensive was at its height, Field Ambulances were posted at Proven. The cemetery was closed (except for one later burial) in September, 1918.
There are now over 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site.
The cemetery covers an area of 6,345 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall.
|scottish church records|scots origins|tartans
© 1998 David Duffus. All rights reserved.