|Additional Information:||Son of William and Janet Duffus, of 13, Argyll Place, Aberdeen.|
|Cemetery:||ROCQUIGNY-EQUANCOURT ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, MANANCOURT|
|V. B. 19.
|Location:||Rocquigny and Equancourt are two villages in the Department
of the Somme, some 13 kilometres north of Peronne and 12 kilometres south-east of Bapaume.
Rocquigny and Equancourt are approximately 8 kilometres apart and the Rocquigny-Equancourt
British Cemetery lies about halfway between the two villages on the north side of the road
just west of the crossing road from Etricourt to Ytres.
|Historical Information:||Etricourt was occupied by British troops at the beginning of
April, 1917 during the German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line. It was lost on the 23rd
March, 1918, and regained at the beginning of September.
The cemetery was begun in 1917, and used (mainly by the 21st and 48th Casualty Clearing Stations, posted at Ytres) until March, 1918. It was used to a small extent by the Germans, who knew it as "Etricourt Old English Cemetery", and resumed by British troops in September, 1918. The 3rd Canadian and 18th Casualty Clearing Stations buried in it in October and November, 1918.
There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and nine British graves made by the Germans cannot now be found, and are represented by special memorials. The bodies of two French soldiers and one American Medical Officer have been removed.
The cemetery covers an area of 6,807 square metres and is enclosed by a low rubble wall.
|scottish church records|scots origins|tartans
© 1998 David Duffus. All rights reserved.