|Additional Information:||Son of William and Annie Duffus, of Parkmore Cottage, Dufflown, Banffshire. Employed in Valuation Dept., Inland Revenue, Perth.|
|Cemetery:||HIGHLAND CEMETERY, LE CATEAU|
|III. B. 20.
|Location:||Le Cateau is a small town about 19 kilometres south-east of
Cambrai. Highland Cemetery is about 1 kilometre south of the town on the D12 road to
|Historical Information:||After the Battle of Le Cateau (26th August, 1914), the town
remained in German hands until the middle of October, 1918. Plot III (which is the
original cemetery) was made by the 50th (Northumbrian) Division after the fighting of the
17th October; and the name of Highland Cemetery is suggestive at once of the comparatively
high ground on which it stands and of the thirty-two graves of the 13th (Scottish Horse)
Battalion, Black Watch, found in this Plot.
The cemetery was greatly enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of graves (of October and November, 1918) from isolated positions on all sides of Le Cateau.
There are now over 600, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 60 are unidentified.
The cemetery covers an area of 2,292 square metres and is enclosed by a wall.
|scottish church records|scots origins|tartans
© 1998 David Duffus. All rights reserved.