|Additional Information:||Son of John and Agnes Walker Duffus, of 489, Springburn Rd., Glasgow.|
|Cemetery:||AUBERCHICOURT BRITISH CEMETERY|
|II. E. 12.
|Location:||Auberchicourt is a village 11.5 kilometres east of Douai on
the road to Valenciennes. Auberchicourt British Cemetery is one kilometre west of the
village on the northside of the road to Erchin, 300 yards away from the Communal Cemetery.
|Historical Information:||The village was occupied by British troops in October 1918,
and the cemetery was begun at the end of that month and used until February 1919, while
the 6th, 23rd and 1st Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations were in the neighbourhood. These
original graves are in Plot I; but the cemetery was enlarged after the Armistice by the
concentration of graves (mainly of 1918-19, but also of August 1914) from the surrounding
battlefields and from smaller burial grounds.
There are now nearly 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, almost 20 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to one soldier from the United Kingdom and one man of the Chinese Labour Corps, known to be buried among them. The grave of one United States soldier has been removed to another cemetery.
The cemetery covers an area of 993 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall.
The following were among the burial grounds from which British graves were taken to Auberchicourt British Cemetery:
AUBERCHICOURT CHURCHYARD, in which one Canadian soldier was buried in October 1918.
LIEU-ST. AMAND BRITISH CEMETERY, at the South-West corner of the village, used by units and Field Ambulances of the 51st and another Division, in October 1918, for the burial of 28 soldiers from the United Kingdom.
MONTIGNY BRITISH CEMETERY (Nord, East of Douai), near the South-West angle of the Bois de Montigny. This cemetery, made by the 6th Casualty Clearing Station in November 1918-February 1919, contained the graves of 20 Canadian soldiers, 16 (and one airman) from the United Kingdom, and one of the United States Army.
SOMAIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY, in which one R.F.C. officer who fell in 1916, is still buried. The graves of seven Canadian soldiers who fell in October 1918, and one from the United Kingdom buried by the enemy in March 1918, have been removed.
WALLERS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, in which nine Canadian soldiers were buried in October 1918.
|scottish church records|scots origins|tartans
© 1998 David Duffus. All rights reserved.